Truck cabin

I took Big Red for a run yesterday. After about 100km I was down shifting and suddenly the clutch pedal went flat to the floor. I had no clutch!
Fortunately I’ve had some experience driving a crash box and can shift without a clutch. I managed to get to an area where I could pull off the road to assess the situation.

The clutch actuator rod had snapped.

20131231-133017.jpg

It doesn’t look like an original part and was probably adapted when the engine was swapped out to the Isuzu diesel to allow for the adaptor plate on the bell housing.

After some thought I managed to find a piece of steel pipe off an old fence on the road that had a small enough diameter to capture the two ends of the rod. After some mucking around I was back on the road and the roadside repair got me home.
Today I’ll make up a replacement which will be stronger than the last one.
I have to expect that some parts will fail on the old truck. Better to get them sorted out now and not when I’m in the middle of the desert.

I can’t do much else with the pod until I get the material for the interior. I want to tidy up the truck cabin and although the old truck is very comfortable to drive, it is a bit noisy and dirty. It’s no wonder since I’m sitting directly on top of a big Diesel engine.
The cab is quote roomy and there is a nice big shelf behind the seats which Cutty has claimed as her spot. I ripped the old rubber and insulation off the shelf and this is what is underneath.

20131231-131614.jpg

Incredibly for a 42 year old truck, there is hardly a speck of rust. I’ll remove all the left over fibrous bits of insulation and give the shelf a coat of epoxy to ensure it remains rust free. I’ve seen a few of these old Bedfords with rust along the joins of the shelf and roofline.

I’ll remove all the old insulation on the firewall as well since it’s probably not doing much after decades of use.

20131231-131859.jpg

I’ve bought some aluminium and lead lined insulation to replace it which should cut down the heat and noise and make Cutty’s bed area more comfortable for long trips.

This is a sheet of the replacement insulation.

20131231-132019.jpg

The easy part is stripping a vehicle down.

20131231-201934.jpg

I found that the black tin in the centre of the cabin is the removable engine cowl and it doesn’t have any insulation underneath. Having done a similar job on the Westsail engine room this is going to be an easy solution. I’ll remove the cowl and line the underside and inside of the engine bay with the heavy duty insulation. This is going to make an enormous difference to the noise and temperature in the cabin.

Under all that dust and dirt is the engine tin.

20131231-203404.jpg

And tomorrow I’ll hit the cowl with some rust converter, paint and stick the insulation on the underside of this tin and in the engine bay.

20131231-204448.jpg

On the underside of the engine bay there were a few spots of surface rust. I wire brushed them, treated with rust converter and epoxy coated the rear of the engine bay area, especially around the sheet metal joints. It came up better than new.

20131231-132432.jpg

Hopefully when I’ve finished, this old girl will be cool and quiet to drive.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s