Slaying the monster garden

Being the clueless gardner that I am I now realise that I probably didn’t put enough planning into the garden layout. How was I to know that melons and pumpkins take over everything in their path. I’ve been away from the island for a week and came back to a jungle. Underneath that jungle there were about 15 massive melons, enormous eggplants, crazy mutant cucumbers and one of the chilli plants was so laden with giant chillies that it had fallen over.
That was it, the mutant monster garden had to be tamed. I ripped out 6 barrow loads of melon and pumpkin plants. Here is just one of those loads.

2015/01/img_3029.jpg

Within each barrow load there were melons and pumpkins at various stages from over ripe and rotting to under developed. I gave away some to neighbours, dumped the rest and kept these for myself.

2015/01/img_3025.jpg

The cucumbers were enormous. The biggest was bent around in the shape of a horseshoe and it was so big that my hand couldn’t close fully around it. It kind of creeped me out and I felt a bit violated. I’m not sure I’ll feel completely comfortable eating it.

Anyway, I hear you saying, “enough with the freakin vegetables”. Ok, ok how about bugs?

I was amazed at the amount of insect life in the garden. Everywhere I looked there were bugs. It’s like it’s own little eco system. The plants feed on the dirt, the bugs feed on the plants, the birds feed on the bugs, the birds crap in the garden and the cycle begins again.

2015/01/img_3039.jpg

2015/01/img_3038.jpg

2015/01/img_3047.jpg

And I noticed that there are several variety of bees. Unlike the normal orange bees, this one is black. There are also lots of tiny native stingless bees but I couldn’t manage to photograph any of them.

2015/01/img_3043.jpg

After I decimated the garden I pulled out an old canoe project I’ve been working on. I love canoes and had often thought about putting a sailing rig on one. I came across this old canoe for sale a while back. It was in pretty bad shape. I did a bit of work to it and got the rig sorted. It has a detachable rudder and traditional rig. I made up a lee board to give it some directional stability. I put it all together today but haven’t had an opportunity to put it in the water yet. There’s still a bit of work before I launch it but I like the concept. It’s easy to carry, can be efficiently paddled if there is no wind to sail, can be loaded with a bit of gear and it’s cheaper than a boat. I might take it up to the next gaffers regatta for a bit of fun.

2015/01/img_3035.jpg

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s