The new year…

The past few weeks have been and gone and I’m back at work. I spent my Christmas break working at High-Water trying to get the landscaping and guest cottage done.  It’s a big job when it’s just me and it’s consuming all of my time and energy.   Cutty is supervising of course.

  
I did get a lot done but there is a lot more to go.  It’s a long term project and probably at least another year away from being established.  I will need to balance my off time more this year with some sailing and relaxation since I felt a bit burnt out.

I’ve ordered some new scuppers for the boat from the U.S. 

I’m excited about 2016 and feeling quite motivated and positive.  I need to lose some weight and get fit (that’s a constant theme) and also get a few loose ends organised which have been plaguing me for a while.  

All the best to you for 2016.  It’s going to be an awesome year!

Boat prep

The weather has been hot and blowing about 30 knots this past week so not ideal small boat sailing weather.  At least not for a boat I’m unfamiliar with. 

I’ve spent the week working on the island garden making the most of the holiday break to get some trees planted and cottage renovations done.  

Today I got around to checking the boat to ready it for a sail.  The cockpit scuppers have been leaking badly and worse still is that the leak is internal which ends up wetting the interior bunks.

 So I had a good look and the rubber scupper drains are quite perished and need replacement.  This is the view of the exterior transom.  The scuppers are little rubber flaps which seal the cockpit by water pressure on the outside of the hull.   
The outer consists of a nylon ring holding down the rubber gasket flap which sits on another rubber gasket. 

 
Below is the second rubber gasket coming off.  There is a pvc pipe running into the cockpit.  The outside seal looks reasonable.

   
Below is the interior of the cockpit.  It’s pretty clear that this is where the problem is.

 
The design is pretty sound and I like the recessed channels which will potentially make for a dry cockpit floor. 

Whoever did the last “repair” (and I use that term loosely) must have been in a hurry. It’s so rough I’m guessing they may have been sinking! There appears to be 2 types of silicone used here. One is white and one is clear. The clear is still sticky and was probably cleaned up with turps which prevents it from curing properly.

   

The result is a sticky mess of goo that should have been easy to peel off.  I’ll get it all out, clean it up and apply a good seal of sikaflex.  I’ll order some replacement scupper drains for the outer seal too.

  

The joys of boating!