The weather has been hot and blowing about 30 knots this past week so not ideal small boat sailing weather. At least not for a boat I’m unfamiliar with.
I’ve spent the week working on the island garden making the most of the holiday break to get some trees planted and cottage renovations done.
Today I got around to checking the boat to ready it for a sail. The cockpit scuppers have been leaking badly and worse still is that the leak is internal which ends up wetting the interior bunks.
So I had a good look and the rubber scupper drains are quite perished and need replacement. This is the view of the exterior transom. The scuppers are little rubber flaps which seal the cockpit by water pressure on the outside of the hull.
The outer consists of a nylon ring holding down the rubber gasket flap which sits on another rubber gasket.
Whoever did the last “repair” (and I use that term loosely) must have been in a hurry. It’s so rough I’m guessing they may have been sinking! There appears to be 2 types of silicone used here. One is white and one is clear. The clear is still sticky and was probably cleaned up with turps which prevents it from curing properly.
The result is a sticky mess of goo that should have been easy to peel off. I’ll get it all out, clean it up and apply a good seal of sikaflex. I’ll order some replacement scupper drains for the outer seal too.
The joys of boating!